This is a sponsored post, but as always all thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.
With the holiday season quickly approaching comes the abundance of holiday travel plans, guests from out of town visiting, and both the incoming and outgoing circulation of gadgets and gifts from and for your loved ones.
The last thing many of us think of when gearing up for the holida season is the safety of our homes. However, it is during this time of the year that burglars and thieves have their biggest successes.
Here are a few tips for ensuring that your home does not fall victim to theft and burglary this holiday season …
1. Keep doors locked at all times. Keeping your doors locked at all times is one of the simplest yet most effective ways of ensuring that your home and all that is inside is safe this holiday season. It is strongly suggested that you keep your doors locked even when you are home as well as during daylight hours for maximum security.
2. Keep your windows locked. This is another no brainer when looking to keep your home safe and secure. This holds true even for windows on the second (and yes, even third) floors of our homes. Dedicated and clever burglars will have no problem climbing if they view your home as valuable.
3. Use door reinforcements and top-flight locks. The holiday season is a great time to make sure that all of your locks on your home’s entryways are up to date and secure. This is also true for the garage door / entrance.
4. Refrain from advertising your christmas / holiday gifts on social media. Shockingly enough another tip about oversharing on social media has hopped onto this list. That brand new rolex watch or designer bag that you were just gifted ? Share it with your loved ones via text but there is simply no need to share it on any public social media channels.You are placing a huge target on your back this holiday season if you choose to do so.
5. Make sure there is no shrubbery and/or clutter blocking the entry points of your home. This will allow for installed security cameras of not only your home but also your neighbors homes to easily detect movement around entry points of your home. This will also not allow for intruders to have a safe zone of hiding while attempting to break in or tamper with lock / window systems.
6. Keep your travel plans offline – Refrain from posting about your holiday travels on social media. This goes without saying but one should not be publicly sharing the exact departure plans for travel or travel timelines such as dates of travel or travel locations.
7. Collect your newspapers and mail as they are delivered. – The holiday season brings on the wave of gifting and this means more circulation of packages and mail on our property. Nothing brings a thief more joy than an unattended Amazon Prime delivery (or any other package delivery for that matter). Be sure to schedule attended deliveries for your incoming mail (especially big ticket items such as electronics), set up a safe box for packages outside your home or to collect your packages and deliveries in a timely manner.
8. Notify a Neighbor – If and when you do decide to go out of town and visit with family and friends this holiday season OR just to get a little TLC under the sun, be sure to let a trusted neighbor know about your plans. Ask your neighbor to keep an eye on your home while you are away and to report any suspicious activity. It is also suggested to have your neighbor collect your mail, packages and newspapers from outside your entryway and set them aside for your return.
9. Automate your Home – Burglars have a way of knowing when to strike your home and home automation will defend against this. Automating your home could be as simple as setting your christmas lights / decorations to an automatic timer as well as hooking your home appliances and electronics (such as a TV) up to a smart home remote. This will allow for you to turn on/ off lights as you wish when you are out of town and traveling and giving the look and feel that your home is currently being “lived in.”
10. Make an investment into a home security system or burglar monitoring system. A home security system and/or burglar monitoring system will provide your home with the maximum amount of security this holiday season. A system such as Alpha Fire & Security Systems offers New Jersey residents a state of the art NJ CCTV security camera system that utilizes a 1080P technology at a reasonable cost. The CCTV system allows for you to be two places at one time by utilizing a remote viewing technology as well as optional monitoring services. You can have the peace of mind knowing that what you care about is safe and secure this holiday season.